Friday, April 08, 2011

Maintaining a Positive Focus

I'm talking about exercise.  We all know we need to do it in order to lead a healthier life yet we tend to make excuses why we can't do it.  Why we are not able to do it.  I know people who can't walk who exercise, who make the time and the commitment to it.  Not only is it good for the body, it's good for the mind.  Even those of us who know this can forget.  We get injured and stop working out.  Because we can't do what we were able to do before we lose focus.

By focusing on what you can do and not on what you can't you change your mental attitude towards fitness.  You begin to have a positive view on it.  What can I do?  Do you have bad knees, a bad back, neck, feet, shoulders?  I have known people with all of these aliments, some with multiple who have focused on what they can do and made a positive change in their lives.  When I first started working out with Beachbody products way back in 2003 I was going to physical therapy for a bulging disc in my lower back and in my neck. I did what I could on those videos and then made adjustments for I couldn't do.  I made gradual and slow improvements.  It was a long road but I focused on what I could do.

I have a great friend who has had surgery on both her knee and her shoulder, all in the last few years.  She is currently doing a bootcamp and focusing on what she can do and loving it!  By working on what she is able to do she has maintained a positive focus and realized muscles in her body she hasn't focused on in a while. I am so proud of her I could spit! (where did a saying like that come from anyways?)

I have another friend who is trying to rework her workout after a foot injury.  Now that is a tough one. She has taken all high impact out and focused on slow movements and weights.  No jumping, no bouncing and no quick movements.  You would be surprised and what you can do when you focus on your abilities.

I know someone who has done just that although it's been an incredibly hard road for her.  I say I know her, but really I knew her in high school.  She had a stroke just over a year ago, she was young and healthy.  Although I imagine it has to be tough she has maintained such a positive attitude and has focused on her abilities in order to continue improving and I know that she will eventually regain her strength and her ability to walk without a cane, crutch or brace.  Why do I know this?  Because she focuses on what she can do in order to improve the on the things she currently can't.  That is what I am talking about.  Positive focus.

That is what I am going to continue working on myself.  We can all lose some of our focus.  We all fall short and can sometimes dwell on our shortcomings.  I have.  I know I will again.  But my goal is to think about my abilities more often than I think about my limitations.  I know that with this attitude I will achieve my goals.

Let me know how you plan on achieving yours!

Visit me HERE!

No comments: