Saturday, July 16, 2011

Ending my first week of ChaLEAN Extreme

Wow, I'm sore.  More sore than the first time I started this program back in June.  I was still nursing a pretty severe ankle sprain back then so I guess I didn't push myself as much before as I am now.  And while my ankle still has bad days it is really doing well and remarkably strong.  I decided after I had to stop the last time and take a break on lower body that when I restarted this program I was going to give it everything I could.

The last two days in a row have taken me to that near vomit stage and it was hard to keep going.  I would recheck myself, take my energy down for about 1 minute to get back to where I could go again.  I didn't stop, I didn't dog the workout, I didn't just press play and do the time.  I realized that I need to push myself as hard as I can in order to get the most out of these workouts.  Is it easy?  Heck no!  I am always trying to talk myself out of it.  Seriously.  Even though I have made the decision to push it hard I still have to make myself do the workout!  And I am a Team Beachbody Coach!  This is part of my job!  How much harder is it for someone just starting out and trying to get healthy without having all the support of the Beachbody community?  I just can't imagine.

I think back to the first time I started working out with Beachbody products.  It was 2003.  I was a lot younger back then.  I had three children, the youngest was 10.  I had a lot of weight to lose and I had tried many other programs only to give up on them.  I didn't realize what they were lacking, I thought it was something wrong with me.  I thought it was something I was lacking.  Will power or something that else I just couldn't figure out.  I had ordered programs off of infomercials before.  I had sweating to the oldies.  I thought that was going to work.  I purchased one of those Health Riders, I thought that was going to work.  I did Slim Fast, I also thought that was going to work.  Then I saw an infomercial for a program called Power 90.  By this time I was very frustrated and didn't think anything would work for me.  I went online to see what people were saying and what I found was this amazing online community.  I saw the infomercial in December of 2002.  I decided in February of 2003 to purchase the program because of the amazing people I met in those two months were were doing the program and having amazing results.

What I didn't know was that not only was there a community of people to support me, there was also an eating plan that came with my workout to help me decide what kinds of foods I needed to eat to not just lose weight but to fuel my body.  No one had ever talked to me about fueling my body.  It was all about low fat, low sugar, low calories yadda yadda yadda.  But no one had ever said, "hey, maybe you should eat more whole foods, things like fruits, vegetables, whole grains and lean meats."  I got this great poster I put on my fridge called Michi's Ladder.  This was a break down of foods that would help and foods that would hinder my progress.

I pushed play everyday back then.  I finally realized that it wasn't something I was lacking that was keeping me from getting healthy.  It was something that was lacking from the programs and diets I had tried before.  It was the support and the nutritional information I didn't have!  

Fast forward 90 days and I was excited to see the changes!  I had gone from a size 16 and weighing 168 pounds to a size 10 and weighing 140.  I wasn't done with my fitness journey and I continued with Slim in 6 and went onto Slim Series.  I did Turbo Jam, and P90X.  I then let life get in the way.  I lost nearly 40lbs when all was said and done.  It was now 2005 and I had never been in better shape in my whole life.

I then did something I swore I would never do if I lost my weight.  I let life get in the way.  I had a surgery in December and another one the following July.  I was unable to workout after the July surgery because I had been given donor bone marrow in my hand and I'm not sure why but I couldn't raise my blood pressure by exercising until my body was healed.   I still kept eating healthy though and only gained a few pounds.  The tipping point for me was the car accident I had the following December.  Even though I wasn't badly injured I was frustrated and I just gave up.  At first my body didn't show any signs of getting heavy.  I was losing muscle mass because I wasn't working out and I was gaining fat.  Before I knew it I was as heavy as I had ever been and I had given up.  I always thought I was not going to be one of those people who lost weight only to gain it back.  If you work so hard to get healthy why would you let that slip away?  At least that's what I always thought.  Then I realized that it does happen and I let it happen.

I was so excited to find Beachbody again.  I knew that it helped me once and that they had the right combination to help me.  All I needed to do was pick a program and Decide to become healthy, Commit to doing the program and then I would Succeed at my health goals.  Decide. Commit. Succeed.  That is what Beachbody is all about.  

Wow, so I went on for quite a while just to say that I understand how hard it is to get healthy, it's even harder now that I am in my 40's than it was when I was in my 30's.  But I am not going to give up and I am not going to give in.  I am going to blog about my success and failures.  You will hear all the dirty details.  I am not holding back this time.  And I have to say I am excited and scared.

I started on Tuesday of this week.  I am currently at 171.5lbs.  I am only 5'1" and I will take my measurements in the morning so I have accurate numbers for my journey.  I will need support and I know I have it.  I have a great nutrition guide and a great fitness plan.  This next 90 days will be HUGE!   

No comments: