Thursday, December 09, 2010

Thoughts on my Fit Club...

So I started my first fit club for employees where I work.  I am very excited about helping people love to exercise and really get a feel for it.  I want them to workout more than just one day a week though.  I have stressed and I will continue to stress the need for daily activity.  Only how do I really impress upon these wonderful people the need to move the body on a continual basis?

How do I stress to them that it's ok to not be able to do the whole workout?  It's ok to stop and just walk in place for a few seconds or minutes.  Heck, at home I am able to press pause and walk in circles.  We don't have that kind of luxury in a fit club.  We need to push on.  In a way that is good, we push ourselves where otherwise we may give up.  But it can also backfire and we can push past our point.  We need to listen to our bodies and do what is right for us, not the person next to us.

I am so proud of the lady in the back row who although she wasn't able to complete the whole workout did what she could and stayed until the end.  I am so proud of the person in the front row who is healthy and active and pushed herself until she had worked up a great sweat!  She could have dogged it.  She could have kept it at a lower level.  But she didn't.

This is as much a journey for me as it is for my class.  This is a first for me as it is for them.  I've never done a fit club like this.  It's strange territory.  I don't have people dropping in.  I have preregistration and waiting lists.  It's exciting to have people waiting to get in but it's also frustrating to not have a full class.  You know how it is.  You are never able to make every class, so there is always room for more people.  I love the idea of opening it up to anyone and just having them sign a waiver and workout.  But since it's my employer I think this needs to be tracked differently.

I'll keep pushing through and learning as I go.  I hope my class continues to push through and learn as they go also.  I love feeling like I am helping to make a difference in someone's life.  Our health should not be dealt with lightly.  We never know what we have until we don't have it anymore.

I'll sign off with some good words I read today and I'll keep reading because they spoke to me.

“Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do.”
John Wooden

No comments: