Tuesday, March 01, 2011

Goal Setting

March 1st! What? Really?  Where did January and February go?  For that matter what happened to 2010?

Anyone else feel that time is getting away from them?  I focus so much on day to day activities that when I take a breath it seems a whole month or year has gone by.  My children have grown, my baby is 17 and will soon reach that "adult" status.  How sad is that.  I was watching a video of a baby doing that deep belly laugh.  That laugh that we forget how to do as adults.  My heart melted and for a brief moment I wanted a baby.  Then I realized that my kids are all almost gone and I don't want to change diapers and get up for midnight & 3am feedings.  OYE.  I'm exhausted just thinking about it!

So where was I?  Oh yeah.  It's March!  2011!  Is anyone still working on their new years goals?  Anyone want to amend these goals or add to them?

I know I have amended mine several times.  Not that my first goals were too hard, some were quite easy and just having the daily activity has helped me keep with it.  Some though needed to be adjusted.  Some were a little loftier than I anticipated.  I'm not upset or feeling like I'm a loser because I've had to adjust.  I'm feeling strong, like I am in control and I know what I am capable of and what I can accomplish.  It's a good feeling to be able to go back and review goals and adjust them.

Did you know that only 3% of the population has specific goals and writes them down?  Only 3%?  Another percent has goals but doesn't write them down.  I want to say it's like 15% but I may be wrong on that, it may be lower.  If you have goals you need to write them down and keep track of them.  How else are you going to know if you need to make adjustments.

I hears that the space shuttles when they are moving towards a desired destination are off course 97% of the time.  They are constantly having to adjust their course.  Are they failures because they are adjusting?  NO.  So why should you feel like a failure for having to adjust your course, your goals?

One of my good friends Jenn just posted her goals for March and I loved reading them.  1. because now it's going to make her accountable to those goals and 2. because I can see the growth in her and it makes my heart soar!  She is an inspiration even when she doesn't feel like it.  Because she is being true to herself, setting goals that may not be easy to reach but still setting them.  If she didn't set them a little high then she would never reach her true potential.  So don't be afraid of falling short.  That is not failing!  Think of how far you came because you set your goals high.  Make adjustments, recalculate your goals and go for it again and again and again!  You will find you achieve so much more when you have goals.

No comments: