Monday, November 13, 2006

A Week in Review

Wow, what a week! Talk about busy! And to end the week with my son’s championship football game on Saturday was the icing on the cake. :)

The week started out crazy and ended the same way. I had two large events and one small one that I had to plan for. Food and logistics, it was crazy. My first event was a small one for about 20 people. Our Early Childhood Committee met on Tuesday evening. I didn’t stay for that one, I just got the food prepared and made sure the room was set up. My day was already hassled.

The next one was a Summit for Children of Incarcerated Parents. Wow. There were so many people there. It was great to see a community come together to discuss these children that are left behind when one or both parents are incarcerated. Great discussions, great ideas. I am anxious to see some forward movement. Oregon is already working hard to help these children. We have a program in place for children to visit their parents. It’s interesting. I am not sure how I feel about it. I have heard it is great for these children to maintain a bond with their parent. But I also feel that it could be traumatizing for a child to go to a prison to visit. I do agree that these kids need help. Help to overcome the feelings of lose and help to break the cycle.

Finally I ended my short work week (Veterans Day on Friday) with a Strategic Planning session for our office. An all day event where we mapped out where our office is heading over the next year. My head still hurts from that day. This event I took on myself as caterer. What was I thinking? Actually it turned out nice. It was stormy outside and we had a nice crock pot full of vegetarian chili and some baked potatoes. Along with that we had brauts and hot dogs with all the fixings. Something for everyone. :)

Thank goodness my week was over after that. I had a nice relaxing day on Friday. Got my hair cut and took my daughters glasses to get fixed. Saturday morning my son’s football team had their championship game. IT WAS FREEZING! I literally had three blankets. One under me, one wrapped around my shoulders and one around my legs. It was soooooo cold. I felt so bad for the kids standing down on the field. But I am sure they weren’t feeling anything. They were so amped. They had gone 8-0 the season and went into the playoffs. Nearly lost the first game to a team they had stomped at the beginning of the year. We kept telling them that the team had gotten better and had acquired a new player. He was good. He was their whole team. But we pulled out a win. On that game and went to the finals. It was exciting. I know I may be boring some. But it was cool. My son, who is about 85 pounds with all his gear on, played some nose guard again. It’s so funny to see him get down so low and right into the centers face. He breaks the line because he is so small. Last game he even had a sack. That was cool.

We had this game handled. The first time we played this team it was crazy. They held on and kept in the game the whole time. Saturday was a different story. Out second possession of the game we ran it all the way back for a touchdown. We quickly took control and kept it for most of the game. We started to fall apart in the fourth quarter. We allowed them back into the game with 4 minutes left to go. They were within 6 points. We had the ball and couldn’t get our first down. They took over with 3 minutes left. OMG! It was crazy! We stopped them three times. Fourth try they got a first down. OMG!!! I’m freaking out! I had to walk away and go to the restroom. That happens to me when I get excited or nervous. I have to GO! I came back out to see one of our kids force a fumble and recover it! WOOOOHOOO! 1:03 seconds left in the game. We took a knee for the next four possessions and took home the trophy, which is nearly as tall as my 13 year old! What a game! A great end to a great season!

Sunday morning was grocery shopping and football watching. I like those kinds of days. Made another big pot of chili in the crock pot and ate on that all day. YUM.

Did I bore you? Well you wanted an update and that’s all I got. LOL!

1 comment:

KellyC said...

I was trying to count how many times you said "crazy" in this post, but I got tired :P
Crazy weeks have their good and bad qualities. You can feel a sense of accomplishment at the end of it, and yet be REALLY ready for a day of sittin' and eatin' chili (well, not me, I'm not a chili fan, which is HILARIOUS, 'cause I made a quick chili last night for supper LOL).

Yep, proofreading done. I just got back from the chiropractor and Costco. Why is it that the ONLY store I have to pay to get into, is the only store I ALWAYS have to wait in line, no matter the time/day? Annoying, but I like a lot of the stuff there.

I've been quite headachey for a few days, and am hoping now that my neck feels a bit better after chiro, that it'll be pretty much gone before I teach my class tonight! I've been VERY LUCKY headache-wise on my class days.